Monday, March 7, 2011

Matthew 5:33-37

"And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.” Matthew 5:33-37 (MSG)

I am in no position to be pointing fingers with this one, because I know that I have probably said things I didn’t mean before. But I really love this verse and I think it’s something we all need to remember and keep close to our hearts.

So, like I said, I’m not here to criticize you of saying things you didn’t mean before because I am guilty of this too. The part of this verse that sticks out to me the most is where it says, “saying ‘I’ll pray for you’, and never doing it.” I’m not going to lie to you guys, I have done that so many times. It’s one of those things that, I say it and it doesn’t occur to me how much that means to them and then I end up forgetting to pray for them. I have improved on that a lot though. I know that so many times we can just think, ‘Well, God knows there need already so, I don’t have to pray for them.’ Okay. That is true, yes God already knows but you’re prayers can do so much too. There is so much power in prayer. And I think a lot of the time we forget that. But next time you say “I’ll pray for you” just remember this verse.

A lot of the time we can get hurt by words. Words are dangerous things. People often will say stuff, but then do things that contradict what they’ve said. Or people could say stuff to you but then they don’t hold true to their words. I’m sure almost everyone reading could say that that has happened to them before. It’s okay to admit it. I’ll admit it. It’s happened to me quite a lot lately. When people say they will be there for you, then their not, it hurts. I know. But you know what I was thinking? Just last night, actually. The Bible is chalked full of things God has said. Promises he has made to us. You know what? Those are forever promises. He’s not going to just be like.. oh never mind I don’t mean that anymore, sorry. Nope, he won’t. His love is unconditional and he means what he says to us. He defiantly doesn’t lie to us, and he won’t turn his back on us. He’s always there. You’re never alone. Ever.

Just something to think about today.
I hope everyone is having a great day today! Love you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment